Supervisors discuss funding for fire grading districtsBy BUSTER WOLFE,
Funding for certain fire grading districts based on last year’s distribution drew a sharp response during Monday’s meeting from one Lamar County supervisor who believes his district was being overlooked.
District 4 Supervisor Dale Lucus said Sumrall was being left off the distribution of Fire Coordination funds based upon previous allocations. Lucus said he wanted supervisors to take the $60,000 total allotment and divide it by the 11 fire districts.
Lamar County Fire Coordinator George Stevens said he would like to use Central Lamar District facilities and personnel to work in a part of the Sumrall district. Lucus disagreed.
“I’m not going to agree with that,” he said. “The morale has been down and you go and take a station from a grading district and give it to another. With the growth that’s going on out there, I don’t agree with that. I won’t ever agree with that.”
Lucus said the discussion is one that has been repeated.
“All these years, we’re taking money from General Fund to do anything,” he said. “And with the growth up there, we’re going to have to have another station up there. All I am trying to do is get some money in place where we’re not borrowing money. The people are paying a countywide tax up there, but they’re not receiving it.”
Supervisors voted 4-1 – with Lucus against – to approve the distribution for FY17 disbursements in the following amounts:
• $12,695.39 to Beaver Lake Fire Grading District.
• $21,644.83 to Pine Ridge Fire Grading District.
• $14,484.45 to Southeast Fire Grading District.
• $23,298.93 to Hickory Grove Fire Grading District.
• $26,251.72 to Rock Hill Fire Grading District.
In other action, the board:
•Approved the Sept. 28 Board Minutes
• New Hire: Myron Knue, North Road Light Equipment effective Oct. 2 at $12 per hour.
• Approved the Culvert Report.
• Approved the Form 2 Report.
• Approval to set speed limit at 25mph on East Graves Road in District 5 per the recommendation of the Road Manager.
• Order publication of proceedings.
• Approved the September End of the Month Docket.
• Approval to pay the October Claims Docket.
• Approval to pay the October monthly civil and criminal claims for constables.
• Receive and enter clerk’s report of receipts and expenditures from the preceding calendar month.
• Receive and enter sheriff’s report of expenditures incurred during the preceding calendar month.
• Received and entered tax assessor/collector’s report of expenditures incurred during the preceding calendar month.
• Approved a petty cash request in the amount of $2,000 for the Sheriff’s Office.
• Approved a petty cash request in the amount of $150 for the Justice Court Office.
• Approved the Tax Assessor/Collector first quarter FY 2018 budget in the amount of $267,154.
• Approved the Sheriff Administration first quarter FY 2018 budget in the amount of $983,058.75.
• Approval to transfer $50,000 from Fund 007 Severance to Fund 011 District 1 Parks & Recreation.
• Approval to transfer $50,000 from Fund 007 Severance to Fund 012 District 2 Parks & Recreation.
• Approval to transfer $50,000 from Fund 007 Severance to Fund 013 District 3 Parks & Recreation.
• Approval to transfer $50,000 from Fund 007 Severance to Fund 014 District 4 Parks & Recreation.
• Approval to transfer $50,000 from Fund 007 Severance to Fund 015 District 5 Parks & Recreation.
• Approval to transfer $22,500 from Fund 011 District 1 Parks & Recreation to Fund 014 District 4 Parks & Recreation to cover utility bills.
• Approval to advertise county resources in accordance with Mississippi Code §17-3-1 in the amount of up to $7,000 for advertising with WFFMM Supertalk Radio for FY 2018 to be paid from District 4 Parks and Recreation funds 014 and 015.
• Approval to pay lawful expenses for Andy Mozingo to attend 2017 Cybersecurity Summit Oct. 12 in Jackson.
• Approved the potential Lamar County School District school bus turnarounds pending verification of qualifications from the School Board due to state law requirements.
• New Hire: David Verespie, Jail Booking Officer effective October 4, 2017 at $16.60 per hour.
• Status Change: Casey Allseitz, Jail from Booking Officer to Court Bailiff effective
Oct. 2 from $16.60 per hour to $14.60 per hour.
• Approved the Designation of Secondary Signatory Officials authorizing Major Brad Weathers and Grant Coordinator Shauna Harvey to sign on behalf of the Sub-grantee.
• Approved the attached asset deletion list, declare as surplus and sell items at auction.
• Approved the attached asset transfer list.
• Approved changes in Assessments per attached by the Tax Collector/Assessor.
• Approved changes in Homestead per attached by the Tax Collector/Assessor.
• Approved Tax Sale Cancellations per attached by the Tax Collector/Assessor.
• Tabled review of the ingress and egress of buses at the private school located at 6752 Hwy. 98.
The next board meeting will be Monday, Oct. 16.